Diapers have existed since the down of times. Cloth diapers resembling the ones we have today appeared in the late 1800s and the first disposable diapers appeared in 1942.
Nowadays, we have so many options for diapers that choosing the best one for a newborn can be challenging. And because our sweet little ones have such delicate and sensitive skin, we want to make sure it is not exposed to various toxins and chemicals.
This is why we recommend you use organic diapers. With this little guide, we hope to explain as well why they're beneficial and one of the safest options for your child today.
When buying baby diapers at the store, we should be able to choose whichever brand without any worry, as baby products should be safe. Unfortunately, it is not the case.
A lot of diapers contain strong chemicals that can be harmful for babies' delicate skin so it is wise to think twice before choosing.
Diaper manufacturers are not required to list all the materials they use in their diapers, even if these are toxic. So we made a little list of the most commonly used chemical in diapers:
- Sodium polyacrylate: you will see them as the gel like crystals in your baby's diapers. While it makes diapers absorbent, the manufacturing process can create contaminants that cause skin irritation and allergic reactions.
- Chlorine bleach and dioxin used to whiten the diaper are responsible for a range of reproductive and developmental problems, damaging the immune system, along with causing major hormonal imbalances and cancer.
- Phthalates: while they soften diapers, they're endocrine disruptors which means they will disturb hormonal balance and are linked to several types of cancer and reproductive problems.
- Perfumes, chemical fragrances or dyes are used to mask odors and make the diaper look pretty and cute. But they also are considered highly allergens and responsible for skin rash or eczema even when used in very small amounts.
When shopping for diapers, or any other baby items, we highly recommend to look on the EWG baby care website to have a guide on how harmful for your baby some products can be.
Some of the Best Diapers Out There
That being said, the quest for the right diaper is not lost. There are a lot of great and safe options out there!
- Organic diapers: You don't have to worry about irritants or any other harmful chemicals listed above; they're perfect for all babies' sensitive skin and even better for ones with allergies. They are also much better for our beloved Earth and the environment as most of them are compostable and biodegradable. In addition, there are more and more options available that we can now easily find budget friendly ones!
- Organic cloth diapers: Just as their disposable counterpart, they don't contain harmful substances. They also don't produce as much waste and can save you a ton on your diaper budget (if you can control the urge to buy every adorable color and print there is out there).
Beyond the diaper
Having a safe diaper for your baby is the first step to a happy and worry free diapering routine.
But as mentioned above, wipes and a lot of baby diapering cosmetics also contain harmful chemicals.
We have a solution for you.
- Our organic, EWG Verified, diapering lotion will safely clean your baby's bottom and leave a healthy protective layer on their skin.
- Our organic, EWG Verified, diapering balm will make sure your baby is free of any rash and bottom discomfort.
As moms ourselves, we understand how important it is to be able to rely on safe and trustworthy products for your little baby. Check out our organic lotion and balm and get started with one of our cute bundles!